Monday, March 24, 2008

Sound #24: The Sound of Music!

I looked at all 5 different pay sites for the music. If I were to use one of those sites, I would probably go the Yahoo! Music. Right now they are running a free 14 day trial. They only have access to about 2 milion songs compared to Napster's 5 million but that is still quite a bit of music. You have to download the free Yahoo! Music Jukebox. The best part though is that it is only $8.99 a month or (even cheaper) at $71.88 a year. In today's struggling economy, no one has a lot of disposable income.

It took me a couple of days to figure out how to download to my home computer. I chose All Strings Considered, a Hammered Dulcimer file off the Overdrive Database. I was able to download the Overdrive software without any problem. But, the first time I tried to download the file from the database, it told me my Microsoft Player version was out of date and I needed to update it. It continued to tell me this even after I took steps to correct this problem. I walked away from it for a couple of days. When I came back to it, I was able to download it with no problem. The computer didn't even act like it had any problem at all! Now I'm able to listen to dulcimer music straight from my computer.

I do not have a MP3 player to transfer it to, but I have been able to do this multiple times over the past couple of years from work computers during other training.

I did figure out that my favorite stations, Sunny 99 and 106.9 The Point do broadcast over the Internet. I decided that I preferred Sunny's broadcast to The Point's because it connects faster. Also, The Point started with a commercial while Sunny went straight for the broadcast. This was very annoying as The Point was supposed to be playing Runaway Train (great song!) and I was watching a commercial instead. I only caught the last few seconds of Runaway Train! Annoying!

No comments: