Monday, March 24, 2008

Sound # 25: Am I a music pirate? It's hard to know...

Burning to a CD was easier than I thought it would be. It had taken me over an hour and a half to download my All Strings Considered file. (My husband and I still live in the 20th century with dial-up. We'll be moving forward to the turn of the century next month with DSL.) It took me a bit of finagling, but I was finally able to figure out how to burn it onto a CD. I was surprised with how fast it went. Originally, my computer told me it would take 20 minutes to burn the CD but when I went back to it 10 minutes later, the CD had been ejected and the computer told me the task was completed. I popped the CD into my CD player and sure enough, beautiful dulcimer music.

I still love my CDs. Not many people I know have made the transistion to MP3s yet. I'm sure I will have to someday but at the moment I prefer the CD player I can blast around the house while I'm cleaning. I'm not a huge fan of earphones.

I waiver between whether or not music sharing is good for the industry. I can see the one side where it is good for new artists. It allows for the exposure to more people out there and is definitely easier and probably cheaper than trying to convince radio stations to play the music. Demand feeds demand. People will possibly be willing to buy an entire CD if they like what they hear on the one song. On the other hand, since the advent of the Internet and Napster, sales in the music industry have plunged. No one wants to pay for what they can get for free. This has been a problem since cassette tapes became available and people were able to record their favorite record albums. It has become increasingly worse since file sharing became possible through the Internet.

The real problem is that technology has taken off and as a society, we are unable to keep up with all the changes. With every piece of "life simplifying" technology, life actually becomes more complicated.

No comments: