Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Consumer's How To # 43: Buying & Selling Online

Well, I'm not one for buying from online auction sites. I really just use the Internet to buy from Amazon.com and plane tickets from various travel websites. I have used Craigslist before to find a lawn guy. He ended up being extremely rude and obnoxious. I was unable to find a way to comment on his ad and have not really trusted Craigslist since.

I think Half.com might be an interesting site to find music and movies. However, with today's dominate digital media (CDs and DVD) I have discovered that when used in many different machines, some not as well maintained as others, the disk tends to get scratched and is unreadable very quickly. Therefore, I do not trust previously used media and would not buy anything from this website for that reason.

I was a little surprised at EBay, not at the site itself, but at what I was looking at. I decided to have a little fun with it and look up my favorite baseball player, Craig Biggio. I found his rookie card with a starting bid of $.99 and no bids on it yet. There was only 9 1/2 hours left on the bid. It kind of proves how undervalued he has always been just because he spent his entire career with a middle of the road MLB team. It's a shame, but I'm not going after it. I have better things to spend my money on than sports memorabilia that my children will not value someday (like saving up for that trip to Cooperstown to see him inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame!) I think of the three though, EBay was my favorite and the one I would be most likely to use.

I am a slight technophob; therefore, I don't see me using one of these sites for my own personal use. When I have something I can no longer use, I give it to Goodwill. I feel they need the money more than I do.

I think PayPal is a very good idea. I kind of like the idea that I can use it on multiple website. The problem is the stores I use most often, Amazon and Travelocity do not accept PayPal. I guess this means I need to branch out with my online shopping. Perhaps I will do my Christmas shopping for my cats online (PetSmart) next fall.

No comments: